
I don't know the whole story behind this dresser. All I know is that I saved it from death about 10 years ago. The apartment I was moving out of had been a furnished apartment, and now it wasn't going to be. The owners were throwing out all the old furniture, and I asked them if they cared if I kept my dresser. It was instantly mine, the first piece of furniture (if you could call it that) that I owned. I used it the next year, and then after I got married, Tony and I used it. When we moved into our house, we got a new bedroom set, so the dresser became Connor's. It has done a wonderful job of housing his clothing for over four years now, but awhile back I started thinking it was time for it to retire. Although it has a lot of character (in the form of scratches, kid stickers, and a missing knob), I decided it had served its purpose and needed to be replaced. Being the frugal person that I am, I first thought I would just give it a new paint job, but upon further consideration, I decided that that wouldn't really be a very easy project. The dresser is made of some sort of ugly wood with some sort of "fake" wood grain wallpaper--I don't know how else to describe it--over the top. So when my mom said she needed to get rid of this beauty, I snatched it up.

Once again, I don't know the whole story behind this dresser. I do know that it was mine as a young child; the evidence of that is inside one drawer in the form of my name written in crayon by a much younger Taffy. I asked my mom and she said it was her grandmother's. So it's old as well. But it had much more potential than the other one. This dresser has seen many facelifts in its lifetime, and I decided to give it yet another. Here's the finished product:

(So you can't really see it very well in this blurry photo, but you get the idea.)
And here's a little knob detail. I bought a set of these retro sports knobs online for $20 with the shipping. It's a little more than I would have liked to spend, but I justified it pretty easily since the dresser was FREE and the paint was left over from painting his bunkbeds.

3 comments:
you're very crafty!! Maybe someday I'll get that itch (and when we have a house again!!!)
nice job! dang! for a second there I thought you were going to redo the older one to show me how it is done. I would like to know how to fix a peice of furniture with that exact wood-wallpaper you described.
Love the change and bright color! Especially love the knobs. I think the $20 was definitely justified.
Post a Comment