Sunday, October 26, 2008

Is this a problem?!?

Yesterday morning, while watching the Today show in a hotel room in Lander, I caught a clip about the "soft" addiction of shopping, and the damage it is doing to thousands of people who struggle with it. It was both interesting and sad. I left my hotel room about ten minutes later and walked across the street to Alco and Family Dollar . . .

. . . less than an hour later, I was headed back to the hotel with three sacks of "stuff" that I had purchased. Now, I'm beginning to think that I may have a problem as well. However, my problem is a little different. Let me explain.

Where I live, it's pretty difficult to be addicted to shopping. It would be like saying that someone who drank once a month, if that, was an alcoholic. But I have to admit that I really get a buzz from finding a great deal. Here's where it gets a little weird. As I've listened to other people talk about "deals" they've gotten on things, I realize that I've taken the idea of a good deal a little too far. For example, if a shirt is over $5, it is not a good deal in my book, and not worthy of my $5. So here's the short list of what I purchased yesterday:

1 pair of jeans: clearance price $4.50
3 shirts for me: all under $3.00
2 dresses for Mylie: $3.00 each
Halloween costume: $5.00 (this was definitely a splurge!)

And I felt just a little guilty about the money spent on me. I haven't always been this way. I have always been a fan of D.I., but back in my college days when money grew on trees (at least for those with great scholarships at UW), I once bought a pair of jeans for $50!!! The thought of it nearly makes me sick to my stomach. I've kept myself in jeans for the last 3 or 4 years for that price, I'm sure. But slowly, over time, the problem has gotten worse.

One of my "low moments" came just a few years ago, when I wore a pair of ugly brown shoes for about a year and a half, just waiting for the right shoes at the right price so I could have a decent pair. But, I was rewarded for my wait, finally finding a pair of like-new leather shoes that were oh-so-cute at a yard sale for $3.00 Just the price I was willing to pay!

Another confession: I often go into a dressing room at DI or a department store with very low prices with a stack of things to try on. I honestly hope that some of them won't fit so I won't have to decided if those cute $7.00 jeans are just a little too expensive.

Finally: I think it has been at least three years since I have even looked at a rack of clothes that doesn't have a CLEARANCE sign on it.

So, decide for yourself: Am I just a cheap tight-wad, a frugal Mormon mom, or a hopeless bargain addict? I don't know. But I can't wait until this next weekend since I'm going to Casper and am bound to find an amazing deal on something!

7 comments:

Ashlie said...

I think that is awesome. I'm absolutely HATE shopping and will buy things on the internet if at all possible. But, alas, clothing requires trying on. I rarely shop and when I do I will buy something not on sale for not a great price because I am in the store, there because I am desperate, and not coming back. Of course if something I like is on sale I go for that one but if not I just get what I like and go. That is way more crazy I'd say than being a bargain shopper. I justify it by saying I only shop once in a great millennium so if I add up the money I save by not shopping it probably evens out. Right?

Unknown said...

hmmm...I'd say bargain addict...sounds like you just like a good deal! But how do you find such good deals like that!? On clothes that are actually cute?? Which your clothes ALWAYS are. I'm so impressed!

Rita Christiansen said...

That's awesome Taffy! I love a good bargain too. My new favorite is online shopping!! I love going to the websites because you don't even have to leave your house. You just click on the clearance items, and then it has an option to sort everything FOR you from low price to high. Then I just see what kind of bargains they have. But I'm like you... once the items start going over $5 or $6, I'm done!

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

Bargains are the best. I feel like a great person when I go out looking for something and can find it for $5 or less. I would say it is a problem if you buy things because they are bargains and not necessarily because they are things you need. I don't know. I love a good deal, too. They are hard to pass up.

Violet Rose said...

Sorry Taffy, I'm going to disagree with all of them. Okay, well not TOTALLY. I think it's awsome that you are frugal and give your purchases thought...heaven knows that would have saved me a lot of financial woes had I been more frugal in the past. However, I do believe that you have a little bit of a problem. For someone who never spends money on themselves, I think you deserve a pair of NEW shoes once every THREE years for crying out loud!! You're probably the most self-less mother and person I have ever met and I say it's okay to "reward" yourself sometimes. But really, whatever makes you happy...

Ellis family said...

I'm with violet! I think you have to pamper yourself every now and then! I do thnk you would be considered a bargain addict! thought I loved a good bargain, and that's if I got a pair of gap jeans for $20! your much better at it than me...

Casey and Tami Parry Family said...

I think it's great Taffy, but, like Tina, I honestly don't know how you find all those great deals. I guess I could but I don't want to take the time to do it. I was better before I had Tel but I can't remember a time that I have been shopping without Tel in tow since he has been born and he hates stores and dressing rooms. So, as cheap and as tight with money as I was in college (you and Tony know about that)I shamefully admit that if I find a pair of jeans for $30 that I think I'll like I try them on, just one or two pairs and if I love them and know I will wear them I buy them because I know Tel won't stand for me taking anymore time than that in a dressing room.