They were BEAUTIFUL! I immediately wondered how I had just looked at them for the first time when I was running toward them for two whole miles earlier. What was I doing?? I was so focused on my pace that I never bothered to look up and pay attention to the beauty that was right in front of me. For the next mile and a half, I kept trying to get more looks at them so I could really enjoy the view, but it was extremely difficult at that point. Running forward and looking out to your left is tricky.
Before long, my course turned north and there was no way for me to even glance at the mountains. I really had missed my chance. By then, my mind was less focused on my pace and more focused on the experience I had just had. Although there can be many lessons learned from this, the one that hit me powerfully had to do with my mothering. When I realized that I had missed my chance to truly enjoy the spectacular view in front of me, a little voice spoke to my heart, saying, "They're only young once. Pay attention now." As my children start to grow older, they spend more and more time out of my watch, and it feels like all I get is sideways glances. Soon, they will leave home, and my chance to enjoy them will be past.
And so I want to pay attention. I don't necessarily wish that I had slowed my pace. I just wish that I had not been so preoccupied with it. Similarly, life is not going to slow down, and the pace of it may even be important in order for me to reach my goals. But I can still choose to not get so wrapped up in the pace of it. I can look up and notice the beauty of childhood that is currently right in front of me.
It turns out that I greatly underestimated the distance of my new course, and I ended up running 10 miles that day, two more than planned. But I am grateful. Because I followed that simple feeling to take another route, my Heavenly Father was able to speak to me and teach me something He needs me to learn right now: "They're only young once. Pay attention." I pray I can follow this simple advice. And I pray that He will continue to teach me in His simple and loving way.
(Photo credit to Scott Jarvie.)
(Photo credit to Scott Jarvie.)

No comments:
Post a Comment